An Act to fully enact article 3 of the Constitution of the People's Republic of Bangladesh.
Whereas it is expedient to fully enact article 3 of the Constitution
, and to make provisions for some matters related to it;
Therefore, it is enacted as follows:-
1.Short title.- (1) This Act may be called the "Bengali Language
Introduction Act, 1987."
(2) It shall come into force immediately.
2. Definition.- Unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context, in this Act "article" means the article of the Constitution.
3. Commencement and effects.- (1) After the commencement of this
Act, except in the case of foreign relations, in all other cases records
and correspondences, laws, proceedings in court and other legal actions
shall necessarily be written in Bengali, by Government offices, courts,
half-official and autonomous institutions everywhere in Bangladesh.
(2) If any person puts forward an appeal or petition at any of the institutions mentioned in sub-section 3 (1), in any other language than Bengali, it will be considered as illegal.
(3) If any manager or civil servant ignores this Act, he shall be considered to have behaved in an unbefitting way under the Civil Servant Order and Appeal Rules, and steps may be taken against him according to the Civil Servant Order and Appeal Rules.
4. Power to make rules.- The Government may make rules for the
purpose of this Act by notification in the official Gazette.