Prof. Rahul Mukherji, Ph.D. (Columbia)
Professor and Head
Department of Political Science,
South Asia Institute, Heidelberg University
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330,
D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
|Room:||SAI R 413|
|Tel.:||+49 6221 54-8921|
|Fax:||+49 6221 54-4591|
|Office Hours:||upon arrangement|
CURRICULUM VITAEDownload as PDF
- 1999 PhD, Department of Political Science, Columbia University, New York.
- 1992 M.Phil., South Asia Division, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
- 1990 MA, School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi.
- 1988 BA, Economics (Honours), Delhi University (DU), Delhi.
International relations, comparative politics, governance and development
Jobs Held / Offered
- January 7 2008 – June 14 2016, Associate Professor, South Asian Studies Programme, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- July 1 2014 – September 2015, Honorary Senior Fellow and Head of Research, Institute of South Asian Studies, NUS.
- 2006 – 2008: Associate Professor, Centre for Political Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
- 2003- 2006 - Assistant Professor, Centre for Political Studies, JNU, New Delhi.
- 2001 – 2003 - Fellow, Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation, New Delhi.
- 1999- 2001 - Assistant Research Professor, Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi.
- 1999: Offered Visiting Assistant Professor positions at the departments of government at Dartmouth College and Georgetown University, respectively.
- Spring 1999 - Visiting Lecturer. Department of Political Science, The University of Vermont, Burlington.
- 1996-1998: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Hunter College, City University of New York, New York.
- 2014: NUS award for Research Excellence (Office of Deputy President, Research and Technology, National University of Singapore.
- 2012: NUS award for Research Excellence (Office of Deputy President, Research and Technology, National University of Singapore.
- August 1 2005 to October 4 2006, Visiting Research Fellow - Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore.
- May 20 2004 - June 25 2004 - Associate, Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies - Columbia University, New York.
- May 20 - August 19, 2002 - Visiting Fellow, Australia South Asia Research Centre - Economics Division, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 1997-1999 - President's Fellow, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences - Columbia University, New York.
- 1993 -1996 - Ambedkar Overseas Fellow in International Relations, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Globalization and Deregulation: Ideas, Interests and Institutional Change in India (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- Political Economy of Reforms in India under the Oxford India Short Introduction Series (New Delhi, Oxford University Press, 2014).
- Co-authored with Sumit Ganguly, India Since 1980 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011). Book was translated into Portuguese.
- "Ideas, Interests and the Tipping Point: Explaining Economic Change in India," Review of International Political Economy Vol. 20, No. 2 (2013), pp. 363-89.
- "Interests, Wireless Technology and Institutional Change: From Government Monopoly to Regulated Competition in Indian Telecommunications", Journal of Asian Studies Vol. 68, No. 2 (2009), pp. 491-517.
- "The Politics of Telecommunications Regulation in India: Explaining State - Industry Alliances Favoring Foreign Investment" Journal of Development Studies Vol. 44, No. 10 (2008), pp. 1405-1423. Lead article.
- India's Economic Transition: The Politics of Reforms (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2007, paperback 2010, reprint 2011).
- "Is India a Developmental State?" in Yin-Wah Chu, ed., The Asian Developmental State: Reexaminations and New Departures (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), pp. 217-36.
- "India's Foreign Economic Policies," in Sumit Ganguly, ed., Engaging the World: Indian Foreign Policy Since 1947 (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2016), pp. 470-95.
Select Professional Service
2004- - Contributing Editor, India Review (Routledge) https://www.indiareview.org/
2007 - , Member: Research Advisory Council, University of Pennsylvania Institute for the Advanced Study of India, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India. https://casi.ssc.upenn.edu/upiasi/welcome .
2016-2019 - Member, Editorial Board, Governance.
2012- Member, Editorial Board, Pacific Affairs.
2013- : Member, Editorial Board, Bandung: Journal of the Global South (Springer)