Radu Carciumaru, M.A.
- Lecturer and Senior Research Assistant
Research and Teaching Interests
- Conflict Studies: Prevention and settlement of ethnic conflicts, negotiation, international relations, political economy
- Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations: Comparative politics, democratization in post-communist and post-colonial world
- Culture, Religion, Ethnicity and Politics: Institutional design in multiethnic societies
- Regions of Interest: South Asia and Eastern Europe
International Conferences: Organisation and Attendance
- July 2014: Panel convenor "Turning Rebels into Stakeholders: Subnational Movements in South Asia and Beyond" at the 23rd World Congress of Political Science "Challenges of Contemporary Governance” , Montreal, Canada
- June 2014: Participation and presentation of a paper on "Memories of Post-Imperial Nations. Case Study of Portugal" at Doktorandenmeeting "Europas Tor zur Welt" (Europe's Gate to the World), Lisbon, Portugal
- December 2013: Participation and presentation of a non-western perspective “Hopeless? Civil conflict regulation as a step to demilitarisation of conflicts” at VDW Jahrestagung 2013: Zwischen Destabilisierung und Pluralisierung. Friede in Zeiten globaler Machtverschiebungen, Arnoldshain, Germany
- September 2013: Expert, chair and presentation of the paper “Ucastie obscestva v ustojcivom sozial'nom razvitii goroda Manngejma” (Participation of the civil society in the sustainable social development of the City of Mannheim) at Interra - International Innovation Forum in Novosibirsk, Russia
- August 2013: Expert and presentation of the paper “Ustojcivoe razvitie v kontekste global'nogo kons'jumerizma: Utopija ili real'nost'?” (Sustainable Development in the context of the global consumerism: Utopia or reality?) at Studrespublika "Strategy 2050 for Ukraine", 15th Edition, Crimea, Ukraine
- June 2013: Participation and presentation of a paper at Doktorandenmeeting "Religion und gesellschaftlicher Wandel", Istanbul, Turkey
- May 2013: Participation and presentation of the paper “A Tale of Four Cities: Does Ethnic Diversity Lead to Urban Conflicts?” at City Seminar, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH), University of Cambridge, UK
- May 2013: Discussant at the international conference "Memories of Post-Imperial Nations," Internationales Wissenschaftsforum Heidelberg, Germany
- May 2013: Participation and presentation of the paper “Sri Lanka 2.0: After the war - from majoritarian control system to integration and accommodation?” at 2013 MatchPoints Seminar, Culture, Social Capital and Politics, at Aarhus University, Denmark
- March 2013: Presentation of a paper at Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- February 2013: Organizer of the follow up DAAD Fellows Meeting “Democracy in Asia,” in cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Karl Jaspers Centre for Advanced Transcultural Studies, Heidelberg
- December 2012: Presentation of a paper at the ITI-RI, University of Strasbourg, France
- October 2012: Discussant at "The Merits of Regional Cooperation: The Case of South Asia," South Asia Democratic Forum (SADF) Conference, Brussels
- September 2012: Co-organiser and junior leader of Asia Working Team at the Internatrional Graduate Academy on "Ways to democracy: social and political transformation processes,” organized by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Berlin, Germany
- July 2012: Participation and presentation of the paper "The 'objective', the subjective and the comparative in South Asian Democracies. The State, the society and the external actor," at the 22nd International Political Science Assosiation (IPSA) World Congress, Madrid, Spain
- June 2012: Presentation of the paper „Ist Sri Lanka auf dem Weg zur Demokratie?“, at Peterskirche, Heidelberg
- April 2012: Participation and presentation of a paper at the 17th Asossiation for Studies of Nationalities World Convention, Columbia University, New York, USA
- March 2012: Second Guest Scholar Lecture at the School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Dehi, India
- March 2012: Presentation of a paper at Institute for Defense Studies and Analysis (IDSA), New Delhi, India. More information here
- February 2012: Participation and presentation of a paper at “The Future of Social Science Research in Sri Lanka,” jointly orhanized by South Asia Institute, University of Colombo, University of Peradeniya and Friedrich Ebert Foundation at Galbangalawa, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- May 2011: Participation and presention of a paper at EXCEPS Postgraduate Conference: “Cultural Encounters – Researching Ethnicities, Identities, and Politics in a Globalised World,” University of Exeter, the Exeter Centre for Ethno-Political Studies, UK
- April 2011: Participation and presention of a paper at 16th Annual ASN World Convention. “Charting the Nation between State and Society,” Columbia University, New York
- October 2010: Participation and presentation of a paper at International Conference “Neither Strange nor Familiar: Contemporary Approaches to Hybridity,” University of Toronto, Canada
- August 2010: Participation and presentation of a paper at the 4th European South Asia PhD Workshop, Heidelberg University, Germany
Scholarships and Grants
- 2011-present PhD Fellowship of the German National Academic Foundation
- 2011-present Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung non-material support
- 2013 Travel Grant from the German National Academic Foundation for Fieldwork at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
- March 2012 Travel Grant from the German National Academic Foundation for attending and giving a paper at “The Future of Social Science Research in Sri Lanka,” (Galbangalawa, Kandy, Sri Lanka) jointly orhanized by South Asia Institute, University of Colombo, University of Peradeniya and Friedrich Ebert Foundation
- February 2011 Travel Grant from the Heidelberg University Graduate Academy within the Excellence Initiative for attending and giving a paper at the 16th ASN World Convention, Columbia University, New York
Memberships, Interests and Skills
- Languages spoken, other than English: Romanian, Russian, German and French.
- Deputy Chairman of the Advisory Council on Migration and Integration (Migrationsbeirat) of the City of Mannheim.
- Member of the steering committee “Mannheim Campaign for Tolerance and Democracy,” Federal Funding Program – “Promote Tolerance – Strengthen Responsibility”.
- Managing Editor of Heidelberg Papers in South Asian and Comparative Politics.
- Co-founder of Sri Lanka Working Group.
- Co-founder of APSA: Foundation for Applied Political Science South Asia.
- Country Coordinator for Sri Lanka, Country Expert for Sri Lanka, Serbia and Germany, Research Assistant for India and Lateral Coding at Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) project.
- Research fellow at South Asia Democratic Forum.
- Member of the Association for the Studies of Nationalities, New York, USA; International Political Science Association, Montreal, Canada; Association for Asian Studies, Ann Arbor, USA; South Asian Archive Expert Group, Taylor and Francis, Oxford, UK.
Teaching and Teaching Assistance
- SS 2014: Sri Lanka - Land im Übergang (Sri Lanka - Land in Transition)
- SS 2014: State and Institutions in South Asia
- SS 2014: Makers of modern India: political theory and the history of ideas in the post-colonial world
- WS 2013/2014: Sri Lanka: Past and Present
- WS 2013/2014: Negotiating Violent Politics
- WS 2013/2014: State and International Politics
- SS 2013: Turning Rebels into Stakeholders: Subnational Movements in South Asia and Beyond
- WS 2010/2011-present: Colloquium for MA and PhD Students : Theory and Method
- WS 2012/2013: Poverty, Politics and the State
- WS 2012/2013: Social Science Theories, Concepts and Measurements
- SS 2012: Faith, Conflict and Governance: Religion and Politics in South Asian and Comparative Perspective
- WS 2011/2012: Democracy and Governance in South Asia
- SS 2011: Negotiating Violent Politics
- WS 2010/2011: Ethnic conflict in deeply divided societies: Case studies from South Asia and Eastern Europe in a comparative perspective